The Grace of Mercy

Showing mercy towards others is one of the acts that Allah like the most. After all, human is destined to err and their faults should be forgiven with ease. Fault doesn't lye in erring but in repeating it. Those who err are human and those who repeat are fools but those who forgive generously are the greats.

There are many instances in the history of mankind where we find that the worst enemies have been forgiven. Who can forget the mercy shown by victorious Prophet Muhammad against the pagans of Mecca, even though they had forced him to live his home and live in exile.
There is another story related to one of the member of Prophet's Family. One dark night Imam Zainul Abidin, found a person in refuge behind the shrubs. By appearance he seemed to be a person deserted from the battlefield. Who is there, asked the Imam. Without waiting for a response he offered the man with water and food, which he carried with him. Come to my place dear and take rest, as you seem to be tired. In the morning we will meet again and then we will talk about your miseries. The men silently followed him. Imam welcomed him with courtesy and offered him the clothes to change and a bed to sleep.
The man could not sleep the whole night. In the morning he tried to escape the place unnoticed. He failed as he saw Imam was already awakened and was completing his morning prayers. Where are you going Sanaan, asked the Imam? The man fell to his feet. O Maula! You recognized this betrayer and the man of sins, asked Sanaan. Yes, last night only, replied the Imam. Sanaan I know you are the one who had killed my brother Akbar at the battlefield of Karbela. I also recognize as one of the worst enemy for the day of Ashoura. Then why didn't you kill me, asked Sanaan ibn Anas. You were in trouble Sanaan and I found you in my refuge so how can I kill you? Moreover Sanaan I have been taught to be kind towards the human. You were my enemy in Karbela and now I find no reason to kill a person who himself seem to be ailing of his sins, addeda the Imam.

Sanaan you can leave after having a breakfast with me. For your crime it is Allah who has to decide now. I may have forgiven had the crime was committed against me. Your victim is not in this world so let Allah judge your acts. Don't you remember the words of holy Prophet about showing mercy? He used to say that forgiving a person for his sins has thousand rewards in the form of grace from Allah, said the Imam.
The following citation may be the best example of forgiving and having mercy towards human being, even though he is your enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment